"An invisible population stepped forward on June 15, 2012, to stake its claim to the American Dream. On that day, President Obama declared that certain undocumented immigrants — a group simply labeled "illegal" by many — would not be subjected to deportation, under broad-ranging conditions. Suddenly the logjam of immigration reform shifted, as more than 1 million undocumented young people who had been in the country for the past five years found themselves with new opportunities. What is more, the sympathies of other groups of people who have undocumented relatives — and thus are mindful of their plight — may have clearly shifted to a President on a campaign for re-election, as evidenced by the preponderance of Hispanic and Asian-American voters casting their ballots for Obama. Chastened by the results of the vote, the GOP has warmed to a legislative fix, increasing chances of comprehensive reform." - Howard Chua-Eoan
What this means is that the struggles of the undocumented immigrant will not only be recognized by a prestigious and reputable publication but that these struggles are given the same recognition that people such as Martin Luther King Jr. were awarded, further highlighting the importance and historical significance of their overcoming these struggles.
Read our post on The US's Obligation to its Undocumented Residents
Sign Petition here: Justice for victims of the Tampakan Massacre! Cut U.S. military aid to the Philippines!
"Hold the 27th Infantry Battalion(IB) of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and X-strata accountable for the October 18th slaying of Juvy Capion and her two sons in Tampakan, South Cotabato, Mindanao. This is part of a continuing pattern of intimidation and impunity used by the Philippine military, which is supported by U.S. military aid to the Philippines, to violently suppress the growing opposition to aggressive mining development in the ancestral lands of the indigenous peoples of Mindanao." - Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines
To learn more:
- Read our blog on the Tampakan Massacre
- Committee for Human Rights, full statement: http://nychrp.info/2012/11/13/stop-the-mining-stop-the-killings-justice-for-the-capion-family-of-the-tampakan-massacre/
- KARAPATAN Alliance for the Advancement of People's Rights, Palparans prowl and kill in Mindanao - http://www.karapatan.org/Palparans+prowl+and+kill+in+Mindanao
- KARAPATAN Alliance for the Advancement of People's Rights, 27th IB’s replacement in Tampakan has EJK record,http://www.karapatan.org/27th+IB%E2%80%99s+replacement+in+Tampakan+has+EJK+record
- BAYAN EUROPE, Australian-Swiss mining company Xstrata-SMI must be held accountable for the Blaan massacre - http://www.bayaneurope.org/swiss-mining-company-xstrata-must-be-held-accountable-for-the-blaan-massacre/